It has been a while since I last posted- courtesy to my exams and job. But it is hard to stay away when you are addicted to writing and jabbering away about anything and everything that you can think of. However, today’s post is going to be pretty small and compact again because I have to get going with my studies. This is a recipe of a sprouts salad that I made last day. I recently started checking on my food habit and hence restricting my diet. I am foodie- I love salads and I love junk foods as well. So I am basically struggling to cut down the junk foods and increase my salad intake. This is one healthy yet tasty salad that you can make within a few minutes at most if you have the ingredients at hand. Green sprouts are universally accepted as healthy and hence I chose them. So, here goes the recipe- hope you enjoy it!
- Chana(chickpea) boiled- 1handful(little less than 1cup)
- Green Moong Sprouts(whole green gram)- 2handfuls( 1 1/2 cups)
- Chana(chickpea) raw, soaked in water- 1 handful
- Cucumber- 1 medium size, chopped into tin dices
- Carrot- half a medium size, chopped into thin slices
- Shallots/ onions- 1 medium, chopped finely
- Tomatoes- 1 medium sized, diced into small pieces
- Capsicum- half a medium one chopped and diced finely
For the dressing:
- Salt and pepper to taste
- White Vinegar 2 tablespoon
- Olive oil 4tablespoon
- Lime juice 1 tablespoon
For preparing the dressing:
In a cup, add the vinegar, lime juice, salt and pepper and stir well until the salt has dissolved. Then add the olive oil ad briskly stir the contents and do so until you see that the dressing is gaining a thickened texture. Once it is thick enough for your liking, it is done. Refrigerate it before you use it.
Oak the sprouts in water overnight and let them be after draining the water for another day. You will find that they have developed sprouts. Use these for the best results if you are on diet. In a mixing bowl add the chopped onions, cucumber, carrots, tomatoes and capsicum and add little of the dressing. Then top the sprouts and chickpeas and add rest of the dressing or a much as you want to. toss them well together and keep it in the refrigerator.
- If you want to make it healthier than it already is, skip the salt or cut down the vinegar and oil.
- you can use apple cider vinegar if you want- i used what was immediately available to me.
- if you like sweeter flavors, you can add a little honey.
- wash the vegetables and sprouts thoroughly before using them.
So do you like salads? if you are absolutely in love with salads but have not tried sprout salads before, do try them out and let me know if you like them. the above recipe would yield you enough for 3 people. but if you are planning to skip dinner and gorge on salad alone, then the recipe will yield enough for two at most.