When you are a foodie, striving for good food is a second nature. you cannot help search for new recipes or invent some. This is how I came up with this particular recipe. I had the bottle of mixed herbs lying around which I hardly used anywhere else apart from in pasta recipes and there was honey- the recipe was made on the go- without any idea of how it would end up tasting but it did definitely taste good or else I would not have been sharing it here. Hope you enjoy the recipe!
- Boneless chicken- 500g
- Mixed herbs- dried thyme, oregano, rosemary and basil- approximately 2table spoon
- Lemon zest- from a whole lemon
- Salt to taste
- Freshly grounded black pepper
- Olive oil
- Homemade vinaigrette- ½ tea cup(75ml)
- Honey-4-8 table spoon(depending on how sweet you want it to be)
- Ginger paste- 1tablespoon
Direction for the vinaigrette:
Take vinegar and olive oil in the ratio of 1:2 and whisk them together in a bowl with a hand blender/machine blender/ spoon whatever you have at hand- the key point to be ensure is that the emulsion is thick and saucy. Add a pinch of salt, half a tea spoon black pepper, oregano, garlic paste (quarter tea spoon), half a lemon’s juice and whisk it again. This homemade version can be stored for a couple of week when you store it in an air tight jar.
- Marinate the chicken pieces by rubbing little salt and black pepper on the bits and then sprinkling the herbs over the pieces and making sure that they are covered well with the herbs. Then add zest from half a lemon and squeeze half a lemon. Put aside this marinade in the freeze- there is no rule for how long you need to keep this- I kept it for some 5-6hours because I would not have had time for preparing this marinade later in the day.
- Heat the regular olive oil (about 2 table spoon) in the pan and then add the chicken pieces to the pan along with the marinade that is leftover if any. Add salt according to your taste and more pepper if you want to. I added more oregano as well.
- Keep stirring the chicken pieces and add the ginger paste and stir the chicken some more to ensure they do not stick to the pan.
- Add the vinaigrette and the honey (I used 3 tablespoon) and cover the pan for 10mins or until the chicken is completely tender and it is done.
- You can make the vinaigrette by putting all ingredients in a mason jar and tightly closing the lid and shaking it vigorously.
- When you add the vinaigrette it crackles a lot- so be careful.
- Tastes good hot or cold- it is perfect for snacking and also as a side dish too.
- thyme, rosemary, oregano are difficult to find fresh in India but you can find bottled dried versions in super markets in the spices section.
- the smaller pieces are easier to cook but i suppose it will taste better with larger pieces.
A spicier version of my previous white pasta , this is another favorite of mine which I usually prepare most often. the ingredients used are always available at home at least for me and so I can easily make it whenever I want to. Though this is spicier but still I would say it is healthier as it does not contain raw eggs like the other variety. So here goes the recipe. the amount will yield enough for four people easily.
- pasta- boiled, 400grams
- onions- chopped 2 large
- carrots- 1 medium chopped in thin slices
- capsicum- 1 chopped in thin slices
- beans- 5 chopped
- chicken- boneless, boiled and shredded- 200grams
- salt and pepper to taste
For the sauce:
- Tomato sauce- half cup
- soya sauce- 4 tablespoon
- vinegar- 2tablespoon
- chilli sauce- according to taste
- in the cup, stir all these together- it will yield about a cup of the sauce
In a pan, stir fry the vegetables in a spoonful of olive oil once the oil is hot enough. Add the boiled chicken bits to the pan and also salt and pepper to taste. Stir them a bit and then add the sauce hat you have prepared- add about a third of the entire sauce. close down the lid and let it cook in low flame until the veggies are soft and the chicken bits juicy with the sauce. Now at the boiled pasta to the vegetables and chickens in layers. simply add some of the pasta, a bit of the sauce and stir together. keep adding until you have added the whole of the pasta. Use the entire sauce that you have prepared.
- go easy on the salt as you are already using the sauces which contain salts already.
- you can use anything instead of chicken or along with chicken.
- grilled chicken will taste even better
- you can go vegan as well.
- replace the soya sauce with Worcestershire sauce for a tangier taste
- you can use Tabasco sauce instead of powdered pepper as well.
It has been a while since I last posted- courtesy to my exams and job. But it is hard to stay away when you are addicted to writing and jabbering away about anything and everything that you can think of. However, today’s post is going to be pretty small and compact again because I have to get going with my studies. This is a recipe of a sprouts salad that I made last day. I recently started checking on my food habit and hence restricting my diet. I am foodie- I love salads and I love junk foods as well. So I am basically struggling to cut down the junk foods and increase my salad intake. This is one healthy yet tasty salad that you can make within a few minutes at most if you have the ingredients at hand. Green sprouts are universally accepted as healthy and hence I chose them. So, here goes the recipe- hope you enjoy it!
- Chana(chickpea) boiled- 1handful(little less than 1cup)
- Green Moong Sprouts(whole green gram)- 2handfuls( 1 1/2 cups)
- Chana(chickpea) raw, soaked in water- 1 handful
- Cucumber- 1 medium size, chopped into tin dices
- Carrot- half a medium size, chopped into thin slices
- Shallots/ onions- 1 medium, chopped finely
- Tomatoes- 1 medium sized, diced into small pieces
- Capsicum- half a medium one chopped and diced finely
For the dressing:
- Salt and pepper to taste
- White Vinegar 2 tablespoon
- Olive oil 4tablespoon
- Lime juice 1 tablespoon
For preparing the dressing:
In a cup, add the vinegar, lime juice, salt and pepper and stir well until the salt has dissolved. Then add the olive oil ad briskly stir the contents and do so until you see that the dressing is gaining a thickened texture. Once it is thick enough for your liking, it is done. Refrigerate it before you use it.
Oak the sprouts in water overnight and let them be after draining the water for another day. You will find that they have developed sprouts. Use these for the best results if you are on diet. In a mixing bowl add the chopped onions, cucumber, carrots, tomatoes and capsicum and add little of the dressing. Then top the sprouts and chickpeas and add rest of the dressing or a much as you want to. toss them well together and keep it in the refrigerator.
- If you want to make it healthier than it already is, skip the salt or cut down the vinegar and oil.
- you can use apple cider vinegar if you want- i used what was immediately available to me.
- if you like sweeter flavors, you can add a little honey.
- wash the vegetables and sprouts thoroughly before using them.
So do you like salads? if you are absolutely in love with salads but have not tried sprout salads before, do try them out and let me know if you like them. the above recipe would yield you enough for 3 people. but if you are planning to skip dinner and gorge on salad alone, then the recipe will yield enough for two at most.
This would be my first post and I am very excited. Cooking has never been a hobby that i am passionate about but I did manage to master a few recipes that comes very handy when in emergency. Today I am going to share one such very favorite recipe of mine that have always been a life saver whenever I had to cook for myself. Its pasta with shrimps and eggs tossed in classic mayonnaise and other sauces.
Pasta has now become a favorite among many and I particularly like it because it is tasty and pasta preparations can be made real fast. The measures in following recipe yields enough for 4 people and you can have it with a side dish or just alone. So, let’s get going with the recipe then!
- elbow pasta – 400 g
- capsicum – 1 large, cut into thin and small slices
- onions – 2-3 large, chopped
- carrots – 1 medium chopped
- shrimps – 12 large de-veined
- egg whites – 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- mayonnaise – 1 cup
- pasta seasoning – 1 tbsp
- white oil
- red chili sauce
- garlic paste – 1 tea spoon
- Boil the pasta in a pan with approximately 300 ml water, a tea spoon of oil and 1/2 tea spoon salt for about 7-8 minutes. the pasta should be firm to bite but not too hard. remove from heat and drain the water and keep it aside.
- In a frying pan fry the egg whites and scramble them first and keep it aside. in the same pan fry the shrimps and add a tea spoon of vinegar while frying them, Fry the shrimps well until they are taut and the smell is gone.
- In a pan heat oil and add the garlic paste. Next add the onions and fry them for 2 minutes. Toss the vegetables in white oil ( around 3 table spoon) and add the eggs and shrimps in it along with the onions and garlic. Close the lid and let the vegetables cook for sometime. When they are thoroughly boiled and soft to bite, slowly add the pasta in small portions and continue stirring. Add the salt and pepper according to your taste in this step.
- Divide the pasta in the serving bowls or plates and top it with refrigerated mayonnaise that you have prepares before. I used home made classic mayonnaise in which I added red chili sauce, pasta seasoning that contains garlic powder, rosemary, basil, pepper, chili flakes, and oregano.
- The preparation tastes equally good when served hot or cold.
- You can use boiled or grilled chicken bits, crab meat as well along with shrimps or just as replacements of shrimps. If you are using crab meat then make sure you cook it well before using it in this recipe.
- A vegetarian version would be to replace shrimps with mushrooms, baby corns and cottage cheese.
- you can add various other vegetables like beans, olives, baby tomatoes and bell peppers as well.
- I skipped the cheese, but topping it with grated cheese brings a complete new dimension to the taste ( and a dimension for calories as well!)
- you can tweak the mayonnaise recipe and get various different tastes each time or simply replace the mayo with other sauces.
Another spicier version of this recipe is coming along soon so stay tuned and keep cooking!